Win a Scholarship by Spreading the Word that American Youth Are Committed to Reduce Gun Violence
All three winners will be announced on April 20, 2019 at the 20 Years Later – Columbine Anniversary Rally at Seattle City Hall Plaza.
Possible topics for submissions can include but are not limited to: how to get young people involved in the gun control movement; lessons learned (good and bad) since Columbine, Colorado; what is the future for gun control in the United States; how today’s youth can foster change in the US; why is gun violence significantly greater in the US than other developed countries; is youth suicide preventable.
Submissions: 1,250 words or less submitted by April 16, 2019 (8:00 p.m. Pacific Time) Winners Announced on April 20, 2019
Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org (include full name, email address, name of high school on first page)
1st Place: $1,000 scholarship
2nd Place: $500 scholarship
3rd Place: $250 scholarship
WA Ceasefire Essay Contest – OFFICIAL RULES:
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS CONTEST
1. SPONSOR: Washington Ceasefire (“Ceasefire”) serves as the sponsor of the Ceasefire Essay Contest (the “Contest”).
2. PURPOSE: This Contest’s purpose is to solicit essays on ways the American youth are directing and pushing for changes in society to reduce gun violence in the United States.
3. ELIGIBILITY: This Contest is open only to high-school students 14 – 18 years of age in the United States. Any student under the age of 18 may also be required to submit proof of permission from their parent or legal guardian if chosen to receive a Prize (defined herein). Ceasefire Board members and their immediate families or those living in the same household are not eligible to enter or win. An “Entrant” is an eligible high-school student who has entered this Contest and is in compliance with these Official Rules. Each Entrant’s eligibility and each Entry (defined herein) is subject to verification.
4. CONTEST PERIOD: Contest begins on March 20, 2019 and ends on 8:00 p.m. on April 16, 2019 (Pacific Time) (the “Contest Period”). The winners will be posted on April 20, 2019, announced at the Seattle, WA rally as well as notified by email.
5. HOW TO ENTER: Each Entrant may submit their essay in word form to email@example.com. Entrants cannot submit an Entry on behalf of a third party.
6. ELIGIBLE ESSAY: Any essay entry must be less than 1,250 words. The essay entry must have a focus on personal involvement in the gun control movement; how to get young people involved in the gun control movement; lessons learned since Columbine, CO; what is the future for gun control in the United States; can gun violence be reduced in the US; why is gun violence significantly greater in the United States than other developed countries; is youth suicide preventable.
In addition, entries must meet the following requirements: · Entries must not (a) contain any false, inaccurate or misleading material, (b) violate any law or regulation, (c) be libelous, inflammatory, threatening or harassing, (d) instigate others to commit illegal activities, (e) contain any obscene, offensive or illicit content, (f) contain any viruses, worms, or other computer programming intended to or that could interfere with the ability of others to enjoy the VPC’s website.
The Entry submitted must be an original work (i.e. a work that does not infringe another person’s rights), and Entrants must maintain significant personal control over the content. By submitting an Entry, an Entrant SHOULD NOT enter if they are in violation, or uncertain of their rights to, any copyrights, patents, trademarks, video, music or other intellectual property.
7. PRIZES: There will be three (3) prizes (each a “Prize” and collectively, the “Prizes”), awarded to three (3) Entrants. The Prizes are as follows: 1st Place Prize $1,000; 2nd Place Prize $500; 3rd Place Prize $250. Approximate retail value (“ARV”) for all Prizes is $1,750. All Prizes will be awarded.
8. SELECTION OF WINNERS AND JUDGING CRITERIA: All Entries received during the contest period will be judged by a committee of judges (the “Committee”) selected solely Ceasefire (consisting of WA Ceasefire Board member), in its discretion, based on each Entry’s (a) content (40%), (b) creativity (20%), (c) originality (20%), and (d) overall quality (20%). Any decision of the Committee is final with respect to selecting the winners.
9. ADDITIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS: The following are conditions to winning a Prize and additional terms and conditions binding on Entrants: a. All federal, state, local tax liabilities and any applicable fees associated with accepting a Prize or participation in this Contest are the sole responsibility of the Winners. b. If a Winner declines a Prize, or if an Entrant has not complied with these Official Rules, such person shall be disqualified and another person will be chosen for the Prize. c. No transfer, substitution, division or splitting of Prizes allowed except in the sole discretion of Ceasefire. d. Acceptance of a Prize constitutes permission by an Entrant to Ceasefire and their agencies to use Entrant’s or names and/or likenesses for the purposes stated in these Official Rules without further compensation. e. Decisions of Ceasefire are final with respect to all matters related to the conduct of the Contest. An Entrant may be disqualified from participating in this Contest and/or winning a Prize for cheating or other bad faith acts in the sole discretion of Ceasefire. f. By participating in this Contest, Entrants and Winners agree to be bound by the Official Rules.
10. CONDUCT OF PARTICIPATION: By entering the Contest, Entrant affirms that he or she has read and agrees to abide by the Official Rules and the decisions of Ceasefire. Ceasefire reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant acting in violation of the Official Rules or found tampering with the entry process or with the operation of the Contest or the Website. As a condition of entering this Contest, each Entrant agrees that: (a) under no circumstances will the Entrant be entitled or permitted to obtain awards for, and the Entrant expressly waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, and consequential damages, and any other damages, other than actual, out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased, and in no event shall attorney’s fees be recoverable by either party;
11. RELEASE OF LIABILITY: By participating, Winners and Entrants (and the parent or legal guardian thereof if a Winner or Entrant is under the age of 18 or is deemed a minor in his/her state of residence) agree to release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless WA Ceasefire, and each of its respective affiliated entities, affiliates, subsidiaries, parent corporations and companies, and all of its respective officers, directors, shareholders and principals, employees, representatives, and agents (collectively, “Released Parties”), from and against any claims made by any Winners and Entrants or any other third parties related in any way to the operation of this Contest, as well as any other claims, damages or liability due to any injuries, damages or losses (whether alleged, threatened, or actual) to any person or property of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation in this Contest or any related activity. Winners and Entrants (and the parent or legal guardian thereof if a Winner or Entrant is under the age of 18 or is deemed a minor in his/her state of residence) assume all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by participation in this Contest or acceptance, use or redemption of any Prize.
13. PRIVACY/ PUBLICITY / USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION: By participating in the Contest, eligible Entrant and/or Winner hereby consent to Ceasefire’s or authorized agents’ collection, use, and disclosure of Entrant’s and/or Winner’s personal information for the purposes of administering the Contest, and prize fulfillment. Entrant and/or Winner acknowledge that he/she has read, understood and accepted the privacy terms contained in this Section 15. The winning Entries and Entrants will be featured and recognized on Ceasefire’s website and social media. By accepting a Prize, each Entrant agrees to Ceasefire’s use of his/her name, statements, and for the purposes set forth in these Official Rules by WA Ceasefire and its respective successors, assigns and licensees may conduct, in any media or format, whether now known or hereafter developed, including but not limited to the Internet, at any time or times in perpetuity, without further compensation or notice, and hereby releases Released Parties from any liability with respect thereto. Winners may be required to sign a further release regarding the grant of these publicity rights. WA Ceasefire reserves the right to amend the above rules at any time